Eat Healthy – The Best Way to Reduce Weight
Some people eat to live, and some live to eat; any which way we look at this, the proverb highlights the essential relationship between living and eating.
To lead a healthy and happy life, we need to know some of the healthy foods to lose weight.
Eat Healthy - Unraveling the Mystery
The biggest challenge that a person keen on losing weight faces is how to eat healthy and lose weight without the hassle of getting caught in the web of elaborate weight loss diets and fad diets.
A diet that is wholesome and natural and provides us with all essential macro and micronutrients like energy, protein, fats, vitamins and minerals in optimum quality and quantity at each and every mealtime can result in a healthy weight loss journey.
Let Us Dig Deeper Into It by Visualizing Healthy Eating In Form of a Healthy Plate
To encourage healthy eating and make the concept of nutrition more practical and easily implementable, the USDA had introduced “MY PLATE” to tackle the growing menace of obesity. At your main mealtime, lunch and dinner, consider your plate containing four sections fruits, vegetables, cereals and protein. Fruits and vegetables should fill half a plate, and cereal and protein should fill the other half of the plate along with some dairy products as a side meal.
Let's understand this concept in terms of percentages.
- Whole grains are not processed or minimally processed, which keeps the goodness of food in its natural form and provides our body energy and vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, and magnesium. So, give whole wheat flour, oats, cracked wheat or Dalia, brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, millets like ragi, quinoa, bajra, jowar, etc., a permanent place on your plate.
- Refined carbohydrates like refined flour or white rice, or bread, will only provide us with energy, as most of the nutrients and fiber are lost during refining. So it would be best if you exclude them from your plate at lunch or dinner.
- 20% of our mealtime plate should have protein-rich foods.
- Eating protein-rich food like dals, beans, peas, tofu or soybean and eggs or lean meat like chicken or fish in every meal is especially important as they are our body's building blocks.
- You should also include some dairy like low-fat milk or milk products like curd or paneer in both lunch and dinner to ensure no muscle loss.
- Adding all colours to your diet ensures the supply of essential vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and antioxidants to the body. Hence, you must include green leafy vegetables, carrots, beetroot, yellow and red bell peppers, pumpkin, brinjal, tomatoes, onion, cabbage, broccoli, etc., in your daily diet. This not only ensures weight loss but builds immunity too.
- The remaining 10% of your plate should be filled up and eaten in the form of fruits.
- Low sugar fruits like apples, pears, papaya, berries, guava and oranges should become an essential part of the meal.
- Lastly but most importantly, load your diet with fiber in each meal.
- Fiber is found in seeds like flaxseeds, hemp or pumpkin seeds, and whole grains and fruits and vegetables.
- Fiber-rich foods will not only keep your hunger away, relieves constipation and controls blood sugar but ensures good health too.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) recommends that an adult's daily diet should contain at least 40g of dietary fiber. (2000kcal based diet).
- Hence, you can also add fiber supplements like ActiFiber Natural Weight Control to meet the recommendations for fiber. It is 100% natural dietary fiber Nutrition with Prebiotic Advantage that controls your hunger pangs, reduces your extra Calorie intake and helps you achieve healthy weight loss that lasts. Its Prebiotic Advantage regulates your appetite and improves your digestive health. You can add it to normal homemade food. It contains NUTRIOSE, which is clinically proven and approved by leading health and regulatory bodies worldwide like USFDA, European Safety Authority, Canadian and Korean FDA.
To end the long story short just remember that if your goal is to achieve a sustainable weight loss you should make eating healthy your mission for life.