Foods to Support a Healthier Gut
Even a simple digestive problem such as bloating or constipation can make you feel uncomfortable & restless. Therefore, it is vital to have a healthy gut because it does not just play an essential role in digestive health but also in improving overall well-being. Many factors contribute to an unhealthy gut, such as poor eating habits, heavy meals, alcohol, irregular mealtimes, antibiotic treatment, etc are a few to mention.
The easiest way to maintain gut health is to eat gut-friendly foods, such as high fiber foods, fruits that can balance gut health. Here are the types of food you should consume to improve your gut health & digestion.
- Whole Grains - Whole grains are rich in fiber, antioxidants, and micronutrients. Fiber from grains is beneficial for your gut health as it acts as a prebiotic that feeds your beneficial bacteria. Furthermore, whole grains soften the stool and prevent constipation.
- Lentils - Lentils, especially pink lentils, are a great source of healthy bacteria. Besides providing us with abundant proteins, this food also helps keep our bowel movements regular.
- Green leafy vegetables - Green leafy vegetables like spinach, fenugreek leaves (methi), amaranthus leaves, etc. are rich in dietary fibers as well as folate, vitamins, minerals, iron. Eating a lot of leafy vegetables will improve your overall gut system.
- Flaxseeds - The fiber present in flaxseeds absorbs dietary fat from the food consumed and facilitates easy bowel movements. These seeds are also rich in antioxidants that help lower cholesterol levels in the body. Flaxseeds should be consumed during or after meals.
- Drink plenty of water- Yes! water is not food but is an essential part of our body as much as oxygen. Water helps to enhance the absorption of nutrients and helps to eliminate waste and toxic products from the body. Water helps to clean not only the intestine but the whole body.
- Food with Prebiotics & Probiotics combination - Probiotics add to the number of good bacteria in the gut and are used in treating the side effects of antibiotics on the gastrointestinal lining, diarrhea, intestinal infections, and also used in treating irritable bowel syndrome.
Prebiotics help in promoting the growth of good bacteria in the gut, thus enhancing overall gastrointestinal health and enhancing calcium absorption.
A combination of Probiotics and Prebiotics is known as Synbiotics that have both good bacteria as well as food for good bacteria. So, a food item with an ideal blend of Prebiotic (Banana) and Probiotic (Yogurt) that works in synergy to improve overall gut health is called Synbiotic. A banana yogurt smoothie with honey and some nuts is one of the good Synbiotic options for restoring overall gut health. ActiFiber Natural Gut Strength is also a dietary supplement with SYNBIOTIC ADVANTAGE that helps restore gut health in 2 weeks. It's a 100 percent plant-based product in an easy-to-use format.